Summer Job as a Rent a Cop, Part 2

While I was in school I took a summer job for a security company.  They hired me to be a security guard for a university that had three campuses.  Over the summer they had me work all the different shifts on all three campuses filling in for people on vacation.  One of the campuses had trouble filling a midnight to 8:00AM shift so that is where I worked most of the time.

The students were gone for the summer.  From midnight to 8:00AM besides me I assumed there wasn't anybody on campus beside the shift superviser.  From what I could tell the supervisor sat in the office, drank coffee and read the newspaper. From time to time he'd check in with me on the radio.

My time was divided between sitting in a guard house at the school's main entrance, doing walking patrols through some of the buildings and driving around campus in a patrol car.  

The hardest part of the job was dealing with the boredom and getting use to the crazy hours.  While I was in the guard house I would either read a book or listen to the radio.  While driving the patrol car I came up with a game.  I mapped out a few race courses through the campus and would see how fast I could drive the car through each course.  

Once I tried doing donuts with the patrol car in a parking lot.  A short time later my supervisor calls me on the radio.  I stopped the donuts to see what he wanted.  He tells me he just got a call from one of the Nuns that some nut is doing donuts in the parking lot across from the Convent.  He asked my location and told me to check on it.   I was shocked.  I had no idea there was a Convent on campus.  It wasn't a Catholic school so why did it have a Convent? Turns out that it use to be Catholic school that the University purchased. The Convent and the Nuns were still there. It seemed like something they should have mentioned to me.  I thought that building was one of the empty dormitories.  I told him I was across campus.  I got the car out of that parking lot quickly.  Lucky for me the Nuns didn't identify the car.  I called back a short while later and reported that the parking lot was empty and that the nut must of moved on.  I told him I'd do a sweep of the campus and look for them. I did a quick drive through the campus laughing that I was the nut I was looking for.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buddy - Separation:

Summer Job as a Rent a Cop

Drunken Brawl